Sunday, March 29, 2009

Yummy Yummy Belgian Waffles!




Slightly sweet and creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside make these perfect for a Sunday morning breakfast. I mix this up the night before to let the yeast do its magic and cook them in the morning making it an easy breakfast for any day of the week. You can also freeze and rewarm them in your waffle iron or toaster for a quick breakfast when you are trying to get the kids off to school.
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sugar or maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 large eggs beaten
2 cups flour (see tip)
1 package active dry yeast
a mixing bowl big enough for the mixture to double


Warm Milk, add butter, sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix in eggs and stir in yeast (make sure it is lukewarm, you should be able to hold your finger in there comfortably like a warm bath). It may look a little lumpy don't worry it is ok just don't over mix or you will get a tough waffle.
Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour; the mixture will begin to bubble. cook them up now or store in fridge overnight. When you are ready to cook preheat the Waffle Iron (make sure it is hot) and spray with nonstick cooking spray. pour about 3/4 cup onto waffle iron and cook till brown (mine takes 4-5 minutes)

If I make these with my Belgian waffle maker I need 3/4 to 1 cup mix per waffle but in my regular waffle iron it only takes 1/2 cup. I sometimes make these in the smaller iron so I can freeze them and toast them in my toaster for a quick breakfast. makes about 5 large belgian waffles or 10-12 regular waffles depending on size of waffle iron

1 comment:

  1. this sounds delicious! you think I can leave the batter in the fridge for 3 days?

    ReplyDelete